Friday, October 30, 2009

8th Graders serve at the Cathedral Kitchen

Serving God's people meant a lot to me because I got to serve food to people who don't have food to serve themselves. It was a good experience because I saw 1st hand what these people are going through. It was really cool when one of the men stood up and started saying grace. Another man came up to us and told us a joke. It was funny once I figured out what the joke meant! I liked serving God's people at the kitchen. I'm looking forward to going again the next time!

(Liam M. 8th)

Working at the soup kitchen was an interesting experience. It wasn't quite what I was expecting. I've never done anything like it before. At first I was a little nervous because I didn't know how the neighbors would react being served by kids. I could tell it meant a lot to them. Most the people were respectful. I found them to be nice and thoughtful, too. Some even asked how my morning was going and asked how I was feeling. Some told stories and others told jokes. While we were praying one man started singing a song about praising God. It was amazing. I felt close to God afterwards. Knowing that even though they hit a rough patch in their lives, they still looked to God as their Savior. It was an amazing experience and I can't wait to go again.
(Kaitlin O. 8th)

The soup kitchen was a little scary at first...but then I got used to it. Some didn't listen when I told them they could only have one juice. Some of the neighbors were nice while others were cranky. I got used to them getting upset with us. I had a hard time using the can opener because I had never used that kind before. I stayed at the juice station most of the time. It was a pretty good experience. I didn't like missing mass at Holy Name...but I was glad I got to serve God's people instead. I look forward to going again sometime.
(Lucy M. 8th)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sister Nicolette,
Thank you for posting the students reflections. I enjoy reading about their perspective on their experience.
Linda