Thursday, January 7, 2010

8th Graders Serve at the Soup Kitchen


The Cathedral Kitchen experience was one I won't forget anytime soon. It was a reality check to see the hungry of our city. It makes me understand and acknowledge that there are difficult things in this world. At first it was a little nerveracking. I didn't know what to expect. In the beginning it was a rush to get drinks out, but after a while, it began to slow down. I came to appreciate what the people that serve everyday, do. I recommend that everyone spends some time at the soup kitchen. It helps you to appreciate everything that God has given you. The experience truly will touch your heart, and by your acts of love and service you will touch their hearts. By your good deeds and actions, you can bring people closer to God. (Emily P.)

Recently, I had my second opportunity to serve at the soup kitchen. Even though I had already been once before, it still touched my heart. This time instead of one of the volunteers leading the prayer one of the men sang to us. He had an amazing voice. This made me truly understand that everyone has a God given talent or gift that we have been blessed with. I really enjoy going to the soup kitchen and I'm looking forward to going back in the future! (Samantha A.)

I went to the Cathedral Soup Kitchen where I learned two things. 1. You can't judge a book by its cover; and 2. Not everyone has the best of life. I was wearing my UNC hat and many of the neighbors we were serving came up to me and starting talking to me about UNC. It made me realize that being homeless doesn't make you totally different. I learned that not everyone has the best of life. Many of the neighbors looked like they haven't eaten all day. (Jake F.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sister Nicolette,
Thanks for posting the students' reflections. Their thoughts give tremendous insights into their goodness and willingness to do their part.
Linda