Saturday, July 18, 2009

A Commentary for the 16th Sunday in Ordinary Time by Sr. Kathleen Yeadon, OSB

The theme on the altar cloth for our Christ Renews His Parish at St. Joan of Arc was: Come apart and rest awhile. Since, these weekends were in the middle of my college days, I thought we were to literally “come a part” at the seams. If you ever have been on one, it made sense as people told their life stories. How important it is to have time, space and friends with whom you can come apart.

This short passage gives us all the aspects of being people of the Gospel. We are excited to tell all that has been happening in our ministry. We need renewal and yes, there is always more people waiting to have needs fulfilled.

All week long, I have pondered what it means to have compassion for the crowds. Mostly, I was frustrated that the disciples never reached their deserted place to have quiet time. So I wondered what compassion they felt. This Gospel also gave me the chance to think about what groups/people I show compassion to. I feel like compassion is very different from pity.
Anyways, no surprise that teenagers are the group that elicits my compassion. I also feel that compassion is similar to grace. It is a mystery why we are drawn to one group over another.
I hope you take time to see what type of people you show compassion to and reflect on areas of your life in which you received compassion.

In the mean time: may you come apart and rest awhile.

No comments: