Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Sr. Harriet Woehler's Vocation Story

I was born in Evansville, Indiana in 1931 and we moved to Haubstadt, Indiana when I was three years old, where I spent my early childhood years and received two brothers into our family.

When I was in the second grade, I began taking piano lessons. By the fifth grade, I was playing our little “pump organ” for our church services in the summer months when the sisters returned to their convent, and have been playing organ ever since. For my high school education, I went to the Academy at Ferdinand, Indiana.


Looking back I think that is how God stole my heart. Because as I listened to the sisters chant the Divine Office, I felt that sound of the sisters singing expressed the deep longing and spoke to my heart. I went to the Academy for music education, and found my calling for a life’s choice from God. I think that is the way God works in our lives – we do things for our reason, and God has better ideas for us.

I have a BM and an MM from Butler University, and I taught elementary and high school music for 25 years, I worked in Formation here at our monastery with the young women who came to join us, and I worked in Pastoral Ministry – all of which I thoroughly loved.

At present, I’m still playing the organ and keeping our treasured liturgies well planned and flowing so they can be prayerful experiences for our sisters and our guests and the greater honor and glory of God.

No comments: