Saturday, March 27, 2010

Holy Week is Upon Us...

Tomorrow we celebrate Jesus' triumphant entry into Jerusalem...the day that begins Holy Week.

I find myself reflecting back to Ash Wednesday. Has this Lent been any different than any other Lent in my life? Has my heart been changed? Did I draw deeper into the heart of God? Did I make good on all my Lenten promises? Do I even remember what I promised to do? I often fall short of my promises to Christ. Lucky for me...Christ never falls short of His promises to me.

Over Spring Break I had the opportunity to spend a few days with my brother, Fr. Zach. He recently was assigned to a new parish in Evansville, IN. I wanted to see his new parish and to spend time with him as well as my other siblings who live in Evansville. I had a great time with my family. I was also blessed with quiet time. (I was able to make 10 Rosaries over the break.) One evening my brothers, Zach and Bernie, were invited to hear confessions at one of the local parishes. Having just gone to confession the week before I had decided to not go to this particular service. However, I changed my mind after Zach and I listened to a CD of Matthew Kelly explaining the importance of confession. As it turned out I did go to the penance service and I did receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation. I was so touched when the priest blessed me and assured me that, "Every sin I ever committed has now been forgiven and God NEVER remembers my sins." I was overwhelmed with gratitude and love for my sweet Jesus. I needed to hear those words of forgiveness. My heart has grown deeper into the heart of God.

It's with mixed emotions that I look forward to this week of holiness. It's never easy to hear the Passion. To reflect on how Jesus died for me. Today's Communion Antiphon is, Christ was sacrificed so that He could gather together the scattered children of God. Thank you sweet Jesus.

If you haven't been to Reconciliation lately...give yourself the gift of forgiveness and take time this week to confess your sins and make a return to our merciful and loving Savior. He waits patiently for you with His arms wide open ready to welcome you home.

No comments: