Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Sr. Juanita Machino's Vocation Story

The first eighteen years of my life were spent on a lovely farm in Jennings County. In 1947 I answered God’s call and professed my final vows in 1952. In 1956 I was sent to Our Lady of Grace as a founding member. My classroom career consisted of teaching grades 2 - 12 including two courses one summer for St. Benedict’s College. For years, I taught and studied for my Master’s Degree simultaneously. With the closing of our Academy in 1978, I discontinued teaching after thirty years.

My journey with God continued as I studied and became a licensed Cosmetologist in 1980 with the intent of being able to use my talents to help others. For the past 28 years I have been doing hair care for my community and shut-ins. This has been a very rewarding ministry. Many of my clients are lonely, or poor, or abandoned - others are starved to hear about God – I do more than hair care. I listen to stories, encourage them, run errands, clean and do odds and ends. I read to some pray with other.

God has blessed me in many ways. I volunteered at Help Line for twelve years where I took calls from the needy and found assistance for them. Likewise I am grateful for the 14 years I volunteered at Day Spring Family Shelter.


I have also found God in serving God's people in the Hospice work I have had the honor to do. I have been privileged to live this life as Benedictine sharing common values and struggles as we grow in God’s love and care.

No comments: