Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Sr. Louise Hoeing's Vocation Story

The invitation to “Come Follow Me” led me to the Monastery Immaculate Conception after my junior year at St. Agnes Academy. I was a little anxious about this step and as we drove up the hill to the monastery I told my Dad that I thought this might be a mistake. He told me to try it for a couple of weeks! Now, after 58 years, I am still seeking God in the Benedictine way of life. This path has given me many opportunities for both spiritual and educational growth. I have been blessed with many meaningful friendships in the Benedictine communities of Ferdinand, Our Lady of Grace, and my places of ministry. As an elementary teacher, I taught at St. Ambrose in Seymour, Indiana, and St. Anthony in Clarksville, Indiana where I also served as principal three years. Ministering at Our Lady of Grace Academy as principal enriched my life with love and friendships and led me to my next ministry as guidance counselor at Bishop Chatard High School where I presently serve. When asked when will I retire, I respond, “when I get it right!” I have been blessed with parents who nurtured my vocation, six brothers and sisters and their spouses, who continue to support my vocation along with numerous nieces, nephews, great nieces and nephews who fondly call me “Sis”. I could not have persevered without the support of the communities in my life and I continue to pray for all who have touched my life both living and deceased.

No comments: