The 6th graders and I came across a passage from Scripture...Luke 2:52...Jesus grew in age, wisdom and favor. I keep thinking about that. I think the word that strikes me most is favor. What does it mean to grow in favor? Favor of what...or of whom? For Jesus it was in favor of God and God's people...for us it is the same. Growing in age happens naturally, growing in wisdom happens as we stay open to God in our daily life experiences and being aware of God's presence in our lives as we journey towards our heavenly home. So how do we grow in favor? Another way to look at this is to ask ourselves how we grow in holiness. I asked my students this very question. We came up with a terrific list.
To grow in favor or holiness:
- Above all else we must remain faithful to our prayer life. Our prayers keep us connected to God. We take time to pray the Rosary or the Divine Mercy Chaplet.
- We must strive to hear God's voice in our daily lives and walk in a manner pleasing to our God.
- We seek ways to put God first, others second and ourselves last.
- We are the first to serve the needs of others.
- We stay faithful to the Sacraments and take time for Adoration as often as we can.
- We cultivate peaceful hearts and strive to be kind and gentle with everyone...even ourselves.
- We never miss an opportunity to give God thanks and praise.
- We stay faithful to the 10 Commandments.
- We live the Beatitudes daily.