Monday, November 8, 2010

8th Graders serve at the Soup Kitchen

I didn’t know what to expect when I was heading to the food pantry. I thought I was just going to give food to people who didn’t have any, but what I really did was make somebody’s day. Some of these people didn’t have any food at all, and this was their only meal for the whole day. Others were sleeping on the ground when I walked in. I thought all the people there would be sad, but they were all happy. This surprised me very much, considering these people have nothing. This experience is an experience I won’t forget because it taught me to be thankful for what I have, and how lucky I am to have food, a house, and family.
(Lynn J.)

When I arrived at the Cathedral Soup Kitchen I thought it was a good way to get out of class. I never thought I would take away from it as much as I did. The people that came through the line of food were often silent. I felt sad to see people that had to depend on others to get their food. Some of the people would be singing, others would ask how I was doing. I was happy to see people have good optimism on life even when it is difficult, scary, and sad. Every day I have bad optimism on something. How it is that fortunate people like me can be mad because I didn’t get the dinner I wanted, when people that don’t have homes can be happy with nothing? I don’t know the answer to that question, but I do know that I will start being more grateful for the things I have and think about serving at the Cathedral soup Kitchen every time something doesn’t go my way.
(Samantha D.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sister Nicolette,
Thank you for posting the 8th graders' reflections and the photo of the students. They are doing an excellent job of putting their faith into action!
Linda