Thursday, September 30, 2010

8th Graders Serve at the Cathedral Soup Kitchen

It is a new school year...and another opportunity to serve at the soup kitchen. Each week or so I'll post three short essays written by 8th graders who served the neighbors at the Cathedral Soup Kitchen. Truly, the people who are being fed...are my students. We had a marvelous conversation in religion class yesterday about how taking time to serve the needs of others really deepens our relationship with Christ. I have some rather amazing 8th graders as you will soon discover when you read their reflections.

Volunteering at the Cathedral Kitchen was a great learning experience. When I first arrived at the Kitchen I saw a homeless man sitting in the corner of the entrance. I heard him say that he wakes up every day with a positive attitude. That made me feel inspired because even in an awful situation he doesn't give up. At the kitchen I mostly helped serve juice. It was shocking how many people were hungry and walked in the door to this tiny dining room. At the same time I was happy they were getting food because who knows when the last time they ate? When Mrs. Buckley told me that volunteers do this serving everyday I was amazed at how much effort they put in and that they really care! (Hannah B.)

My experience at the Soup Kitchen was truly satisfying, gratifying and amazing. I will never forget this experience. You could say that it stained me forever. When we first arrived at the Kitchen, I saw two guys who slept there to keep warm. As we walked into the building the other volunteers gave us our jobs. Hannah and I handed out the drinks while Colin served the salad. This guy came in singing and dancing to music. Colin and I were asked to sweep and mop the store room. It was amazing to see that we helped change the lives of some people. I can't wait to go back! (Lauren H.)

When I went to the Soup Kitchen I felt happy. At first it smelled kind of funny. But, as some friendly people came through the door, I felt good about helping. Overall, it was a good experience. I felt good about myself when I helped people who were down on their luck. The people at the Kitchen were friendly and so were the people we served. It was a good trip and it was nice to give a helping hand. I look forward to going back. (Colin C.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Sister Nicolette,
Thanks for posting the students' reflections. It's great to read about the impact that their service has had on their hearts.
Linda